Friday, October 5, 2007

NEW YORK CITY FOG


Wednesday (10/03)

New York City was enveloped in a fog on Wednesday (10/03) morning. The Reuters news building in Times Square wore a foggy top. It was a serenely quite walk up Ninth Avenue past the garbage bags (rubbish) piled high on the sidewalk. I smiled as I passed frustrated mothers dragging their small uniformed kids to school. It reminded me of my own mother.

Thursday (10/04)

I wanted to call out sick on Thursday (10/04). I felt like I had worked weeks on end without a weekend in between and that my body cried out for a break. Do you ever get that feeling?
I wanted to thumb my nose and say “not today thank you.” So why didn’t I? Guilt. I feel guilty if I take a day off work for no real reason. That is the American in me. If I lived in Ireland I doubt I would feel the same guilt for taking a sick day. In the United States work consumes most of your life. To call out sick is a mark of failure or weakness. At least that is how I feel. You are always one paycheck away from losing your job.

ADVICE
Now the euro is running high against the dollar, I am looking to cash in (as it were) on the monetary differential. Is there a US product I could market in Ireland? I am aware of the customs duties and VAT; these added expenses have to be taken into consideration. Does anyone out there have any ideas?

No comments: