Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A Walk Up Ninth Avenue / Hells Kitchen

I walk up Ninth Avenue everyday workday from Port Authority on 42nd Street to 56th Street. I am usually pre-occupied with re-living the past weekend or looking forward to the next weekend. Occasionally I think about the workday ahead of me. I pass umpteen buildings but I rarely take notice.

Today, I decided to live in the present and pay attention to the buildings around me, just in case I am called in to a police line-up and asked to identify one!

I noticed that my favorite coffee shop in Hoboken – Empire Coffee has a store between 42nd and 43rd Street on Ninth Avenue, but I don’t buy my morning coffee there because it’s still 15 blocks away from the office and my coffee will be cold by the time I get to work.

I pass a Tasty-Treat ice cream store that is conveniently located next door to a dentist’s office offering specials on white smiles.

The pavement is always splattered with the spills and stains like a Jackson Pollock painting. There are ice cream droppings and coffee spills, and scraps of food from the numerous restaurants that line both sides of the avenue.

On ‘recycle days’ there are small skyscrapers of cardboard boxes tied up with string lying flat on the ground where the pavement meets the street, as if waiting for a bus.

On 43rd Street and Ninth is a decrepit grocery store called Meatpacking.

Rudy’s Bar a New York landmark sits in the middle of 43rd the 44th Streets, where you can get bucket of beer for $7.75.

Amy’s Bread nestled between 46th and 47th Streets would not look out of place in small town in Vermont, specializes in specialty breads.

The run-down Three Aces barbershop next door to Amy’s Bread, with its hand painted sign and authentic red white and blue barber pole pays homage to the old Hells Kitchen.

Mazzalla Wholesale Fruit and Veg. warehouse, between 47th and 48th Streets, with its cardboard boxes of oranges left of the pavement outside, looks awkward opposite the Amish Market on the opposite side of the street, with maliciously laid orange fruit stand resembling a great orange pyramid from Egypt.




















No comments: